Mood Disorder Treatment in South Florida
Although it seems to be a topic everyone tries to steer clear from, many people suffer from mood disorders all over the world. Mood disorders are a category of illnesses that are characterized by a serious change in mood, not to be mistaken with mood swings, which are normal. Mood disorders are severe, and can create long-term damage.
Mood disorders can significantly hinder a person’s ability to function in daily life. They affect your brain, your body, and those around you, like your family and friends. They disrupt work performance, school performance, relationship quality, and cause legal and financial consequences due to impulsive decisions. They have medical side effects, and can lead to suicide.
Most mood disorders are associated with depression; one of the most common and crippling mental illnesses. Depression can be brought on from a biological standpoint, relating to brain chemicals. Other factors that contribute to depression include genetics, difficult life events, gender, co-occurrence, and medications. The scary thing about mood disorder is that they can affect anyone, at any age, of any race or ethnic group. No matter who you are, depression disconnects you from a “normal life”.
A person struggling with mood disorders will report extended feelings of worry, emptiness, and loneliness. They will isolate themselves from friends and family, and lose interested in activities once enjoyed. Common effects of mood disorders also include things like problems concentrating, irritability, and abuse to prescription drugs or alcohol.
Portner Counseling Group offers mood disorder treatment in Pompano for the following illnesses:
- Bipolar disorder is characterized by extreme shifts in energy, mood, activity, and ability to carry out everyday tasks. A person suffering from bipolar disorder suffers from manic episodes coupled with depressive episodes.
- Major depressive disorder is characterized by an inescapable and ongoing low mood, commonly accompanied by low self-esteem and a general loss of interest. This is typically diagnosed when an individual experiences symptom for at least two weeks.
- Persistent depressive disorder is diagnosed when symptoms of major depressive disorder are present for at least two years.
- Cyclothymia is a milder form of major depressive disorder, with low and high mood swings.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder is a mood disorder characterized by depression that occurs at the same time each year.
Portner Counseling Group specializes in mood disorder treatment in Pompano. We believe every person has the potential and ability to change at any time. With individualized mood disorder treatment, our staff works to identify the root of the problem, so treatment is long lasting and effective. Our licensed therapists have the experience and skillset to effectively treat mood disorders and substance abuse issues simultaneously. Through individual, group, and family counseling, the team at Portner works to achieve lasting, positive change in our clients lives.
The amount of emotional pain, stress, and loss family members and friends of those with mood disorders experience is impossible to measure. Mood disorders should be diagnosed and treated as early on as possible. Contact Portner Counseling Group today to learn more about mood disorder treatment in Pompano for yourself or a loved one.